Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 80

Thread: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    A good earth ground is essential, but be aware that adding an extra earth ground can cause more problems than it fixes, since ground loops are caused by multiple ground paths. Better to fix the existing ground than to add another. Usually a cursory pass through the breaker box tightening everything on the ground buss will solve most problems. Driving a new rod and switching to it is occasionally helpful.

    Cable TV usually has a separate ground, and can cause headache loops in systems too.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Cable TV usually has a separate ground, and can cause headache loops in systems too.
    Oh boy! Don't you know it! My last place was like that.

    In my recent case, the only ground in the listening room was back thru neutral. Not good. A real, local ground helped enormously.

    Bottom line: It's worth a look and maybe some dollars spent. Many residential grounds are not that great. Mine was awful.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    For sure. Around here where there's as much rock as dirt, it's fairly common for the rod to be driven till it hits rock, then cut off (and beat on a little more to cover the cut end).
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.